Tonight I’m ringing in the new year doing one of my absolute favourite things: DJing a wedding.
It feels so fitting to be saying farewell to 2017 and welcoming 2018 while playing music – this year has been HUGE for PopJukebox. I got to be part of so many unforgettable celebrations, and I have become so proud of this business I get to call my own.
In late 2016, I started taking more videos and GIFs at weddings. After our wedding, I loved seeing the candid photos and videos that our friends took – fun photos and videos of the dance floor bring back memories from our wedding like nothing else, and I wanted to be able to give that experience to my clients. As a result, I was able to roll some of my favourite dance floor moments from 2017 into a little highlight video. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
…and that was just a small taste of 2017 – there was a ton more footage I would have loved to include! As it is, I cut the footage down from 45 minutes. One funny thing about this year is that after years of rarely playing the YMCA (it falls in the “a little too cheesy” category for me), I had SO MANY couples request it for their wedding in 2017, and as you can see in the video it was always a big hit. I was also asked to play “Shout” at virtually every wedding I performed at… I’m not complaining, though. 🙂
Some other highlights from 2017 include…
- Surpassing 100 weddings DJed and 200 total events DJed! By the end of 2017, my career totals are 123 weddings and 234 total events.
- DJing for my largest crowd yet – 2500 people!
- Becoming an approved vendor with the Edmonton Public School Board and performing at four school dances.
- Performing at the U of A Week of Welcome in September.
- Being part of the Boutique Wedding Workshop in November, which turned out to be a really memorable day of shared wedding advice and tips.
- Being interviewed by Digital DJ Tips (an online DJ training site that I’ve followed for years) about my DJ business, and then being asked to be a course ambassador for their Mobile DJ Blueprint course.
- Travelling to Palm Springs with my “Boss Babes,” where we relaxed in the sun, deepened our friendships and chatted about our businesses.
- Visiting California in November, and getting to meet an Instagram DJ friend in person. I interviewed DJ Kara for an upcoming online radio show, and it was such a delight to meet her and chat about pursuing the DJ dream!
- DJing two Junior High School Halloween dances dressed as Lady Gaga.
- Refreshing my brand with a new logo, new website and new images… HUGE shoutout to Christina Louise Branding and Glossie for their collaboration on this – I couldn’t be happier with how it all turned out!
Edmonton, thank you. Thank you for an amazing year getting to do what I love. Thank you for inviting me to be part of your celebrations. Thank you for following along on social media. And most of all… Thank you for dancing!
Happy New Year!